Historical and private archives holding historical documentation
Over the years in which the Madeira Regional Archives (ARM) has been preparing to move to new quarters, it has not limited itself to receiving material for incorporation as required by law or to accepting donations. Assuming its proper role as the leading institution in the area of archives, the ARM has collaborated with private owners of documentation having recognised historical and cultural value, for the sake of preserving and valorising all the archival heritage of the Madeiran people, knowing that the more abundant and varied the sources are, the more profitable any research in the realm of culture will be.
This collaboration is guided by clear criteria, taking into account the limitations of a service that the ARM provides only when and to the degree it is able to make qualified personnel available for the task. These criteria are:
1) Recognised historical and cultural value of the batch or collection in question
2) Initiative and ability of the private party to mobilise its own resources in the interest of preserving and valorising the documental heritage it holds
3) Degree to which the documentation for which technical support is requested complements that of the ARM collection
4) Possibility of financial return and valorisation of the work performed by technicians of ARM in the areas of reference, information and documentary processing
5) Continuity of work begun under the auspices of previous administrations of ARM.
In accordance with the objectives and criteria mentioned above, the ARM has been collaborating with the following entities: Diocese of Funchal, Blandy Brothers, the English Church of Madeira, Eng.º Miguel França Doria, Clode Famíly, Favila Vieira Famíly, Brito Câmara Famíly and Dr. Aragão Mendes Correia. Archival processing has also been initiated on the writings of Luís Marino and Octávio Marialva.
Norms and guidelines of IAN/TT (National Institute of Archives/Torre do Tombo)
To consult and download, go to Arquivos Nacionais
ISAD(G). General International Standard Archival Description. 2nd edition. 2000.
ISAAR (CPF). International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families. Provisional version of 2nd edition. 2002.
ORIENTAÇÕES PARA DESCRIÇÃO ARQUIVÍSTICA DO IAN/TT. 1ª edição. 2006.
To consult and download, clic here
ISO3166: 1988 – Codes for the representation of names of countries